Wednesday 15 August 2007

Serving the Queen and the Courts

As many of you know I've spent the last two weeks before this one serving as a member of the Jury at Wood Green Crown Court. Certain legal requirements prevent me from discussing certain issues here, most notably what happened in the Jury Room (I'd be in Contempt of Court if I did), and as such, I'll stick to the facts from what was said in court, and is therefore in the public record of the Court. (Plus for my own safety, and that of the jury, I'll limit my comment)

I was serving on a particular case where the defendant were charged with some serious crimes and it is pretty nerve racking to be in court and having to decide on the fate of other people - knowing that your decision can protect the public, change the course of the defendants lives and change how those who brought the charges feel. Its not easy, its not something one does lightly and its not something that you can not think about after its done. For a good couple of days, 12 ordinary people including myself sat in a small room and discussed the smaller pieces of what happened on one night last year. Its a matter of record that we found one defendant guilty, and the others were let go.

If others get the chance to do Jury Service, I urge them to stand up to that responsibility, and not shirk it. One past American President famously said that Jury Service was the finest service once could give their country - and its a hard service to properly give.

No comments: